Friday, September 16, 2011

DAYS IN LOS ANGELES

For days I(Argie) had been waiting for C.L. to drive in with his emotionally tried soul and "no money." Finally he arrived to a house filled with American Airlines stewardesses, welcoming his appearance. First thing that I did was take him to dinner and we spent hours talking. He moved his things into our house on Kerwood in Westwood and his life in Los Angeles started with a new set of friends and a supportive family of sisters who were going and coming, flying here and there. Gerry, Barbara, Claire and I made him laugh and he quickly loved the attention that he got from the friends who were my friends in the Church. He played on the Church baseball team and was a real hit.


Claire, Argie, Barbara, and Gerry

Rose Marie Reid, the famous swim-suit designer, was a neighbor and friend of the stewardess family. They occasionally would swim in her pool.”
C.L.


Claire, Argie, Barbara and C.L. are playing in Rose Marie Reid's swimming pool.

There are sometimes small parties in the bungalow and always friends (mostly stewardesses) dropping in – Donna Folkers, for instance, who frequently flies with the girls and spends her spare time modeling for various Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York stores. Argie's brother, C.L., is like a member of the household. A bona-fide cowboy, he appears in Western roles on television. The girls proudly call him “the actor of the family.” 
Donna Stewardess and Model
C.L. Hoskins Actor
 Argie's Journel:
Bob Cawley sent this letter to Mr. Sadler, American Airlines, Vice President of Customer Service.
Dear Mr. Sadler,
Two weeks ago on this flight my Stewardess was Miss Argie Ella Hoskins. Being my first flight after a near mid-air crash, I was very upset.
Miss Hoskins put me at ease – and with many little efforts (coffee – reading material, etc.) made my trip the finest in twenty years of airline travel.
Miss Hoskins is the finest example of “service with a beautiful smile”. I'll keep flying American.”
Mr. Robert M. Cawley
NBC – TV Sunset and Vine, Hollywood 28, California

After another flight with Bob, I introduced him to my brother. In Hollywood, it was all about contacts.




C. L., Charles Leslie Hoskins

C.L. was in the Vanity Fair publication. He attended acting school at Columbia in Hollywood where Bob Cawley taught. Bob, a director and producer for NBC-TV. He started helping C.L. with his “dream” to get into pictures.
  C.L. didn't have the resources to continue his movie/TV adventure. The long and the short of that story is that after C.L. joined the Army so he could get out of debt and have an income, Four Star Playhouse sent him an invitation for a contract in a series. Too late. I wish I had kept the letter for his history.  As I recall, it was NBC's Gunsmoke  an American radio and television Western drama series.

C. L. Hoskins


  This was a very difficult time in the life of my brother. He was thinking of his daughter and didn't have enough money to help with her. I am told that the  Army provided a way to easy the challenge of "no money."

When he left for the Army, my heart broke as I told him, "Later. Do what you have to do." Love my brother. Again, the tears come so easily. Tears of joy for being a part of life. All of us had fun in the ocean as we played and threw sand at each other. Sands of time. All of us young kids learning about the windows and doors of life and how precious it is with every passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment